Twenty one years later I returned...
As I approached South Bend last week, I was nervous and emotional. This trip is a big deal. I get to see my host family again. When I left in 1993 it felt like the death of my Indiana self. I wondered how much of that person and the memories would return. Turns out that, although time has passed, the memories and connections are still there.
Now, just a note before you get to the photos: big glasses and perms were cool!
Here's my application photo. Tricia was handed my file at school by Mr Shockney and told to think about it. Thank goodness she did. The Markleys accepted my application. I wonder if they truly knew what they were in for.
Here's a photo of Mr Shockney attempting to poi. And check out the next photo, taken last week. This man hasn't changed a bit.
The Markleys live on a small farm in Northern Indiana. They are wonderful people and were great parents.
My host sister, Tricia, welcomed me into her home. Here's us heading to school.
Another note: scuffs are now cool again!!
Here's us twenty years on. I think we aged pretty well.
I not sure if you can see Grant photo-bombing in the photo above? Here's a close up. Although he's the quiet one, he's got an awesome sense of humour.
It was fabulous hanging out with Tricia's family. They're preparing for the 4h Fair (like our A & P Show). I was so impressed with the dedication and hard work that the family puts into their sheep. Those boys know their way around the barn.
Brock and Grant walk the sheep every day and do their chores. They are great kids. Little Kiara is an absolute gem too. As well as being extremely funny, and as bright as her brothers, she's also an excellent story teller. She's a little sponge and often will repeat back things she's heard into her stories. This provided for hours of amusement.
Here's her telling stories to the sheep.
Poor Kiara was a little confused when we told her I was leaving on Saturday. She thought that I had moved into the basement for good.
The sheep are on Dick & Karen's farm. Here's Grandpa giving them a trim up.
Despite a devastating fire last year, the rebuilt house looks just the same. It was surreal pulling up the driveway for the first time. I've dreamt about returning. If I shut my eyes I could walk around the house, the farm and the barn and visualize what it looked like. It was just as I remembered.
Karen is a passionate gardener and it shows. The trees were bigger than I remembered.
Dick commented that I remembered a lot.I think it's because my memory is frozen in time. What changes easily is my accent. I'm sure I recaptured a little Indiana twang. I loved reminding Dick of our conversation of the kiwi 'r' sound. "Cushla, is there an 'r' in car?"
"Well, is there an 'r' in wash?"
In Indiana we "warsh" the dishes.
Thanks to a very kind Deputy Principal, we were able to tour our old high school. It's changed a heap in twenty years.
They have a one-per kid policy for Macs which the school provides. They have excellent multi-purpose rooms and inquiry learning.
Kiara liked the look of the TV Production Room. I can just see her being here in a few years time.
Good to see AFS is still alive and well in the school too.
It's an amazing school that's keeping up with the times.
This trip was also a chance to catch up with long ago friends. It's amazing how easy it is to quickly return to where we left off. Thank you to Rick and his lovely wife Michelle for welcoming me into their home. Here's them with new baby Drew. Cute!!!
My darling friend Dana flew all the way from Houston to see me. We talked for hours, and it reminded me how special she is. We both agreed that our friendship had a major impact on our view of the world. And she hasn't changed a bit. (I have ditched the big glasses, thank goodness).
I had dinner with her family too. What a wonderful, supportive family they are. It was great to catch up again.
On Saturday I enjoyed a catch up with Jason but failed to get a photo! Bother.
And just to mention those I didn't see: next time, I hope!!!
So to my brave parents and family in New Zealand, thank you for letting me go. Here's two pics to make you giggle. (Dad, you have more hair; Jess, you look like Addy!).
Finally, to my Indiana family: thank you, thank you, thank you!! What a fabulous visit. I'll do my best to return before the next twenty years is up. It was hard to say good bye again but I know we'll stay connected. I love you and God Bless!


































Cush, if it's any consolation my wife wasn't haPpy that I forgot to take any pictures! LOL, next time.
ReplyDeleteOh goodness...you made me cry...AGAIN! :)You have no idea how much I miss you...it's crazy after only a week together, but I feel a bit lost. So thankful for your visit. Thank YOU for coming sis! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteIt was so nice to see you again. It was so interesting on how we have matured and see the world today differently then we did back then. I'm glad my wife and kids were able to meet you and enjoy great conversation along with good food and ice cream from Dairy Queen! :) I would love to visit New Zealand some day and we will definitely be put on our bucket list. Thank you for taking time out of your vacation for us. Have fun and safe travels and thank God for the technology to keep in touch. :)
ReplyDelete