Friday, 28 June 2013

San Francisco

What an amazingly vibrant city. I can understand why it's one of the most visited. Bring really set up for tourists, it's easy to find a hop on/off bus to see all the sights. So I spent my $30 bucks and off I went. 



I love that you meet great people when you're traveling. I chatted with an English couple, an Australian couple and a circus performer from Michigan. He took the photo below by the foreshore.



The Golden Gate Bridge was in fog most of the day, but I think this added to its charm. 



It's very touristy. But it's ok. I felt reasonably safe. At one point in the tour we went through a rough area called the Tenderloin. We were heckled from the street. A few people were hanging out outside a shop while we were stopped at an intersection. The girl yelled out, "Wave to the white people". It was then I realized that, in fact, we were all white on the bus. Of course, there was a range of nationalities but we were all white. There's a real division here between black and white.  The girl spotted me and said, "Hello Miss America. Yeah, you in the black and white top." I tried to correct her: "No I'm Kiwi!" But she couldn't hear me. It was a friendly enough interaction. And I'll take that complement. I mean, she couldn't see the wrinkled me from the road. 

Maybe she noticed the flower in my hair. 


What I should have paid more attention to is wearing sunscreen. Check out my sore nose. 


Being hot and dehydrated, I went to find some water. This was as close as I could find. 




City Hall. Apparently they have two falcons called Grace and Kelly on the roof to dive bomb the pigeons and stop them from pooing on the gold plated fittings. 

Now check out these San Fran houses. 




Perhaps next time I'll book near this spa. 


St Mary's Church. The photo doesn't do this building justice. 


It's a great city. 


That's Oracle in the background. Couldn't find Team New Zealand. 


View from my hotel window. 


Here's some tall ones. 


This woman fell asleep on the tour bus. Her head kept getting lower and lower. Perhaps she didn't find San Francisco as great as I did. I loved it!!


1 comment:

  1. very cool! cheers for sharing :-)
    don't forget the sunscreen!

    ReplyDelete